Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 9: Oxford Heat Wave

Our stay in London over the past week has been very hot. I was not expecting this type of climate in the United Kingdom, and apparently neither were Londoners. As I’ve turn on the news in the evenings, they reiterate the unusual heat wave that is roaring through the region and will continue to do so over the course of the week. Well, we went to Oxford today, and boy was it hot. I’m not going to get into the politics of climate change, but I wouldn’t be alone in saying that ice cream and a drink was a well-deserved treat after a long day.


                          Our tour guide, Kathy                        Oxford Bench Seal

This is neither here nor there, but in fact, Oxford was really fun and interesting. It’s always great to visit an amazing academic institution. Considering that I will be entering into the academic librarian profession, I found this trip to be particularly fulfilling. I’ve always been interested in being surrounded by scholars within the realm of academia. Honestly though, I think that statement is a really fancy way of saying I pride myself in being a life long learner. We were also not alone, we had a the guidance of a great tour guide in Kathy. Oxford is the quintessential academic city, and I’d be hard pressed to find another area of such scholarly caliber (although Cambridge students apparently might disagree).

I was really intrigued by the architecture of all of Oxford. Much like many of the sites we have visited over the course of our program, Oxford has a rich history of architecture and planning. All of the libraries that we visited, along with Christ Church, provide amazing detail and insight in medieval and post-medieval architecture. I mean, when you find some buildings beautiful enough to film and base the Harry Potter movie sets off of them, this is definitely saying something. Along with I attempting stay close to the buildings in order to find shade away from the scorching hot day, it was very helpful and exciting to have access (as a non-student) to the interior of Oxford grounds. The level of history, stories, and politics are permanently tied into the architecture of the cathedrals, college buildings, and other structures.  It was an interesting tour with very intriguing facts. I really felt like I was transported through time as we went through the tour.

Architectural Detail

As a side note, we also took a break after lunch to enjoy a nice nap in the cemetery. I definitely haven’t done this stateside. Let’s hope I didn’t upset anyone from the afterlife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment